Museum Properties

No Records Found

Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

Google Map Not Loaded

Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.

218 Mercer St.
This magnificent building, constructed in 1809 from locally made brick, and expanded several times over the last 200+ years, was originally the Harmony Society warehouse, complete with a stone wine cellar. It serves today as the main Harmony Museum building and the well-preserved wine cellar is part of the museum tour.

222 Mercer St.
This duplex was built in the early 1800s for two sisters who were members of the Harmony Society, and their families. Among the interesting construction details that can be seen inside are back-to-back stone fireplaces and cooking hearths. The building is part of the museum tour and it houses our Museum Shop.

546 Main St.
This reconstructed 19th century cabin with open fireplace is filled with period furnishings to illustrate Society members’ daily life. Stepping inside offers a look back to 1804 when the Harmonists first arrived in this area and began to build. Also on the tour, it is a favorite of children as they try to envision pioneer life.

245 Mercer St.
This reconstructed two-story cabin houses the Harmony Museum Weavers. This talented group works on antique and reproduction looms to replicate the goods that the Harmonists produced for sale here. Quality woolen and linen fabrics and even silk came from the looms that were employed by the enterprising Harmonists. Several days a week the Museum Weavers demonstrate this art to visitors.

303 Mercer Rd.
Built in 1805 as a somewhat lower structure for sheep, the barn was enlarged by Mennonites who bought the property when the Harmonists moved to Indiana. Mennonite farmers extended the roof upward to accommodate the mounds of loose hay needed for their animals. It retains its early 1800s rustic character and the charming interior can be seen by appointment. It is a popular location as a rental for parties, events and weddings.

114 Wise Rd.
Another beautiful property kept in its original condition by Harmony Museum, this 1825 building was used as church, school and social center for the Mennonite community headed by Abraham Ziegler. Music played in the small interior resonates more beautifully than in many newer and larger churches. It is also popular for small weddings and intimate concerts.

1 Evergreen Mill Rd.
A short, steep climb up a nearby hillside brings the visitor to Rapp’s Seat. Father Rapp, head of the Harmony Society, found this spot and realized he could watch over his “flock” of followers from its height overlooking the town and nearby fields. It must have been a wonderful place for quiet contemplation, and it still is today.

Intersection of Evans City Rd. (Rt. 68)
and Edmund St.

This may just be the most well known of Harmony Museum’s properties due to its location along Route 68 where it can easily be seen by passing motorists. The stone walls still stand perfectly straight and the unique gate, shaped to represent the tablets of the Ten Commandments and weighing more than a ton, still turn easily with a push of your hand. More than 100 Harmonists are buried here, but they have no tombstones since they believed they were recognized in heaven and no longer needed recognition here on earth. There is one marker that is not a traditional tombstone but rather a commemorative stone for George Rapp’s son.

551 Main St.
Our newest acquisition is this reconstructed cabin on Main Street that is used to post visitor information and event news for Harmony and the surrounding area. Built around 1820 by the Mennonite Ziegler family for one of their sons, it stood on one of several farms between Harmony and Evans City owned by Abraham Ziegler descendants. It was donated to Harmony Museum by the Carothers family and a new exhibit is planned for the interior in the near future.

Harmony Museum

Area Memories Blog

Upcoming Events

Fri 20

Antique Auction

September 1 - October 15
Nov 09

German Christmas Market

November 9 - November 10
Dec 31

Silvester

December 31 @ 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm