We Need Pane Relief
You can help preserve some of the oldest, most historic buildings in Western Pennsylvania. Help the Harmony Museum replace dozens of aging, incorrect windows, with new, historically correct windows.
In 1804, Father Georg Rapp, a charismatic religious leader, founded Harmony. Within a few years the Harmonists were constructing impressive brick buildings with handmade 20-pane windows. Only two of these original Harmonist windows still exists. One is on display in the Harmony Museum.
Original Harmonist window, now in the Harmony Museum.
Current, deteriorating double-hung window.
This is a two-phase project—the first phase will fix all the windows in the 1812 Wagner Haus at 222 Mercer St. A matching grant from the state of Pennsylvania will cover about half the of the $150,000 cost to fix these severely deteriorated windows. The first phase will also fix the outside of Stewart Hall.
The Harmony Museum still needs to raise $35,000 to complete its required match. The new windows, in the original Harmonist design, will be handcrafted by woodworkers in Pittsburgh and fitted with antique “wavy” glass salvaged from a circa 1840 farmhouse near Slippery Rock. Once the windows in the Wagner Haus are restored, work will continue to get additional grants to replace the windows in the main Museum building.